PMAT Weekend

Coin and Treasure hunting in Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

junkhunter

PMAT Weekend

Post by junkhunter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Our weekend in the Queenstown area last week was a fizzer for gold for most , including me . Managed a few relics though at Linda and Gormanston but i think these towns have been hit hard with detectors .
The RHC badge is from the Royal Highlanders of Canada , circa 1900 to 1916 . Don't reckon the Gormanston footy club has been going for a while ! Coins were very scarce .
DSC03519.JPG
DSC03525.JPG
DSC03526.JPG
DSC03527.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karl

Re: PMAT Weekend

Post by karl » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks for posting your finds. Looks like the Queenstown ground is tough on old copper. More acidic or just more rain? Cheers.

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

karl , probably a combination of minerals and near constant moisture , but they may have also been subject to fire . Toasted in every way !

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 am

Couple of interesting bits of history in there, especially the Canadian connection. Was a spot on my list but looks like it's on everyone else's too
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Dave79 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 am
Couple of interesting bits of history in there, especially the Canadian connection. Was a spot on my list but looks like it's on everyone else's too
Yeh Dave , both spots are easily accessible with plenty of signs of having been detected . The sheer lack of silver coins is a real giveaway also . One of the old timers in our group said that 20 years ago a northern detecting group he was in pounded the Linda site many times finding a stack of coins . Nobody gets it all but they sure put a dent in it !

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm

And now it's been hammered with an equinox too! I really wanted to come to the meet up but it was my wife's birthday and a prospecting weekend with the boys wasn't on her wishlist. I know, terribly selfish of her!
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Dave79 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm
And now it's been hammered with an equinox too! I really wanted to come to the meet up but it was my wife's birthday and a prospecting weekend with the boys wasn't on her wishlist. I know, terribly selfish of her!
Most of Linda is too overgrown to detect , until the next fire .
Must have a chat if we both make it to the next PMAT meet .

karl

Post by karl » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 pm

20 years ago a northern detecting group he was in pounded the Linda site many times finding a stack of coins
Apparently if a location has been hammered you go deeper with an ATX Pulse Induction Military Grade Metal Detector.
https://www.amazon.com/ATX-Pulse-Induct ... 5-fkmrnull

I watched a 'Hoover Boys' video using one and it was finding deep coins. But it means digging deep holes and finding deep trash :(
These VLF detectors don't seem to have discrimination, just 2 tones - high to low and low to high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHlu3b8DLTw

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:57 am

Karl , the ATX is a pulse induction machine and as such has no real discrimination . In the video they are tricked a couple of times when a high conductor coin gave the wrong signal , but , there is no doubt that p.i. machines will go deeper , at the expense of digging every piece of tiny crap as well as the ocaissional good target . Some ground that is hard and undisturbed may well have all it's targets within range of a v.l.f machine while heavily plowed ground will have targets beyond reach . I have a p.i. machine i use on beaches , where i dig all targets as it's easy digging , but using a p.i. machine for relic hunting would be the end of my already shaky back !

karl

Post by karl » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 pm

using a p.i. machine for relic hunting would be the end of my already shaky back !
I've noticed the ground around here is really hard at the moment. I think it could be because 2019 has been so dry. As far as rainfall goes the central North is more like the East coast.